April 23, 2018
Wheel For 3-speed Hub KY-401-T
3-speed hub chain
Number of gears-3
Brand: Tora Zajdel
Shimano SG-3C41 Universal Hub Kit Nexus (36H 3 Speed Coater brake)
- Want a simple cruiser but still have a hill to get up to get home.
- Installation was easier than expected and I have average mechanical abilities.
- A heads-up on what you may have to deal with – my bike frame is 5mm narrower than the new hub width, but I was able to spread/pull apart my bike frame without much trouble.
- However, I was able to compensate the spoke length by modifying the spoke pattern.
- The spokes do protrude through the bottoms of the spoke nipples about 2mm, so I added another layer of spoke protection (a strip made from an old inner tube).
- I bought the “red” Park tool, specific for my bike spokes.
- The Shimano comes with a 19T sprocket, but it is not attached.
- So I put my original 16T sprocket on the new hub in order to see how much of a difference there would be with the new hub gear ratios (my power/ pedal sprocket is 40T).
- Changing the drive sprockets is easy with a snap-ring plier or with two or three small flat-head screw drivers.
- So, if you want to convert a single speed beach cruiser to a 3-speed, I highly recommend this Shimano hub kit.
- I had to re torque the assembly as it came to me too tight, but being a small bike shop, that is no problem.
- Also, two day shipping with Prime lets me get parts in a timely way.
- If you are looking to have this put into a wheel, STOP!!
- Save the headache and some money and just go find a set.
- I’ve had this cruiser for 30 years as a one speed, so having the gears is really nice.
- I wouldn’t try to climb / coast too many mountains with it.
- Works great for local hills, but some of the mountain jeep roads I went on this summer were too steep.
- The gears weren’t quite low enough for me too ride up some areas.
- On long sections of steep downhill (all the way back down the mountain) disc brakes would be better because the drum brake could heat up under those extended conditions.
- Usually I’m riding around town and it works great for that.
- I did add a 23 tooth rear sprocket for fifteen bux that helps with hills and lets me use the 3rd gear more often.
- I would definitely recommend it for a cruiser or commuter, but not for serious mountain biker.
- I used Shimano’s on line directions about how to take the hub apart and insert the works into the old hub that was still threaded on the wheel.
- I had some questions I submitted by email and niagara Cycle was prompt in getting back to me.
- I took my bike and the hub down to the bike store and they mounted it up and rebuilt the wheel.
- The sproket it came with was a little bigger than most with 19 or 20 teeth.
- This made the hill clibming much better and comparable with an external derailer.
- I have another 3 speed for my wife I bought online and it is not as good on steep hills (even though must add that my flywheel at the pedal is a bit smaller too so that also contributed).
- Swapping the hub was a little frustrating (but worth it in the end.
- BUT I’m now able to easily pedal at a slower pace, and get up most hills with relative ease (with the one-speed my choices were to over-torque it, or walk it up).
- I’m considering upgrading another one-speed, and will certainly keep this product on my watch list just in case I need another one.
- This hub is amazing, 3 speeds and a coaster brake all in one.
700c Shimano Nexus 3 Speed Hub Hybrid Road Wheel Set with Shifter and 700c x 32mm Kenda Tires
- NEXUS Internal Hubs were born out of necessity in urban sprawls where bicycle transportation is a way of life.
- All the gear mechanisms, seals and robust construction have been meticulously engineered to deliver accurate and smooth shifting with each use.
- The shifter, bell cranks and cable and housing are included.
- When I priced things out, buying 3 speed hub, spokes, wheels, shifter, and tires would cost MUCH more than this set.
- When I installed the set, the only road block was that I had to lenghten the chain since the single speed rear cog was smaller than the 3 speed rear cog provided (17 tooth vs.
- I have ridden the bike with new wheels a few times now, and it rides great!
- The gears shifts smoothly, and as of now, I am extremenly happy!
- I bought a new old stock shimano 3 speed shifter and mounted it on my stem and now it looks tight as hell.
- I had was when i pumped up the rear wheel tire after finally rigging this whole monstrosity up, the tube exploded in my face, bike gods telling me to switch back to presta.
- I had to get a different chain due to the size of the cog.
- Came ready to attach to the bike, I just had to get a new chain.
- Put it on a kent thruster fixie now I have a really nice three speed.
- Rims are drilled out for schraeder valves, I prefer Presta so I installed Rim Saver valve protectors so I could use Presta tubes.
- Shifter assembly comes with a 60 inch long cable which was 16 inches too short for my needs.
- Fortunately, Shimano has a good tech section on their website where I found diagrams of the shifter and bell crank so I could install the longer cable.