June 17, 2018
Shimano Deore XT CS-M8000 11-row 11-40T Cassette
11-row cassette providing a huge span of runs and even better cadence control.
Shimano Group-Deore XT
Shimano Group Code-M8000
Shimano Model Code-CS-M8000
Year of Production-2016
Shimano XT CS-M8000 Cassette
- Packed with 11 gears of fun, this cassette features a combination of aluminum and steel cogs to keep weight down while staying tough enough to handle all the torque you can throw at it.
- While the XT cassette holds onto a little bit of extra weight compared to its XTR sibling, the CS-M8000 stands out as a perfect choice for riders looking for top-level quality at a more affordable price point.
- Shimano engineers this cassette with rhythm step gear progression, ensuring precise shifting every time to eliminate pesky distractions such as ghost or missed shifts out on the mountain.
- Both the 11-40t and 11-42t options feature a wide cassette sprocket and optimized gear steps to move the chain smoothly across their ranges and get you smoothly across varied terrain.
- The system works great, and the cassette gives me the ability to use my preferred pedal cadence throughout its gear range.
- At 71 yrs young, I was afraid I wouldn’t have the legs to spin anything higher than a 46 tooth for climbing.
- I was wrong, and should have gotten the 44 or 42 tooth.
- But with a 33 tooth crank ring the gearing is just right.
- The XT system is fantastic and easy to install and care for.
- The 40/40 was very handy on extremely steep climbs of North Texas gravel races.
- I got the 11-46t version of this M8000 and it’s perfectly compatible.
- I was lucky my bike came with the longer SGS cage on the derailleur or it might not have been so simple though.
- If you’re looking at the SRAM Eagle drivetrain with lust, but can’t afford it, this cassette might be your best budget option.
- If the lingo I used in this review reads like a foreign language, then you should probably do some more research before buying this product.
- Added it to my cyclocross bike, using Shimano Ultegra RD-6800 and a goatlink ([…]).
- Shifts through all the gears smoothly and I now can take my bike off-road on steep hills and still access all the gears to ride fast during ascents.