April 23, 2018
Shimano 1.6 Mm X 2050mm Brake Cable Stainless
Stainless steel brake cable known throughout the world for SHIMANO. Diameter of links: 1.6 mm. Length of cable: 205 cm
Shimano Universal Standard Brake Cable Set, For MTB or Road Bikes
- Cable housing is lined with slick polymer shield to assist with smooth cable movement.
- I particularly like that it covers all the bases – including two cables, one for a front brake and the other for a rear brake, and both included cables have both road and mountain bike tips.
- The only hard part of using this is making a clean cut of the unwanted tip on the brake cable, and to shorten the housing.
- Bike shops have special cutters for this, but I had no trouble using Craftsman cut-off pliers, just making sure to rotate them around the cable and housing a bit as I cut.
- Bike shops also have a special pin tool for opening up the housing after cutting, but I was easily able to do the same by opening up a large wire paper clip.
- One more special tool can be used for crimping on the cable tip cover, but again I was able to make do with a good pair of needle-nose pliers for that, just making sure to clamp down in two different parts of the tip to lock it in place.
- Overall, I can’t imagine how this could have been any better for my purposes, and I am a delighted customer.
- Before starting this, you should have some cable cutters and an awl handy.
- If you don’t belive me, cut off the ends of the old cable ( that you will be throwing away) then try to feed that end down your old housing.
- I think you will find your faithful linesman ply leave a less then disireable.
- Even with cable cutters, you will find the housing it crushed closed.
- Now on all my road bikes, you have cable housing that goes from the lever to the front of the frame.
- Then another cable housing from the back of the seat tube to the break.
- I checked with my local bike shop and they had a bunch loose in their service department so I got Two there.
- The housing ends that come with the cables are too fat to work with my 105 brakes!
- Good news is the two I got from the local bike shop did work just fine so now there was two reasons to buy a couple of ends from the local bike shop.
- The housing has a liner and seems very smooth compared to what came with the bike.
- This set came with everything you need to replace your front and rear brake cables.
- I would caution you to use a cable cutter made specifically made to cut brake or gear cable otherwise you run the risk of messing up the cable like I did.
- I thought I had a good pair of cable cutters, which I do, but when i went to cut the rear brake cable it didn’t leave a clean cut and it started to unravel.
- I think there should be six since back brakes usually go through a mid section without housing.
- They are extremely responsive, have no noticeable stretch and are easy to install given you have a pair for clamps, vice grips, table vice, or pliers using a death grip squeeze.
- One thing that could be changed is the labeling on the cable ends.
- Currently there are not stickers wrapped around them to discern which end is which.
- If you ride a bike, you’re probably familiar with the Shimano brand.
- It can be used on a road bike or mountain bike (each end of the cables has a different insert for each style of bike, just flip it the way you need it to go.).
- I was able to replace old brake cables on my mid-2000 Felt road bike in a few minutes, no problem.
- You get two different length cables, and enough ferrules and housing material to make installation really clean.
- The only problem I encountered was that I did NOT have a good cutting tool and I ended up unraveling one of the strands most of the way up the length.
- The cable seems a little thicker than what came on my bike, but it fit.
- I plan to use the leftover cable to rework my front brakes on my bicycle.
- About my only complaint is that instead of metal housing they put plastic, though I’m not complaining because Shimano is one of the best Companies that make both high-quality bicycle and fishing parts.
- I would choose Shimano over any other brand, any day of the week.
- You’ll need a Dike(tool) though or something to cut the wire with.
Shimano Road Brake Cable Set
- When your old cables are spent, show how much you care and replace them with ones you know will outperform and outlast the others.
- I expected 2 large outer casings, 3 smaller casings and 2 cables with appropriate hardware.
- What I go was 1 long outer casing, 2 cables and not enough hardware to make 2 complete cables.
- I did keep the product and used existing cable hardware I had on my bike to make it work.
- This Item needs to be investigated so that either the correct product is shipped or the picture is updated as not to mislead the customer.
- Still, the price for these cables is a couple dollars cheaper than the same cables elsewhere.